Unfortunately, in all three of my listening rooms, my couch and/or sweet spot is up against the wall so there's no place behind it to set up rear speakers. I did try the Santana II's with both pair of Model 19's that I own--stacked on top of the pair of 19's in my rec-room, and standing on the floor next to the pair of 19's that I have in my (in home) recording studio. They sounded great in both locations and really made the 19's sound more full with noticeably enhanced bass and mids. My brother has commented before that I have a speaker addiction, and I guess like some of our other members here (some of whom have huge collections), I do have a case of Altec addiction. I'm up to four pair now--Model 19's and Santana II's in my rec. room, second pair of 19's in my recording studio and Model 14's in my living room. To make matters worse, lately I've been teetering back and forth about whether or not I should buy a second pair of Santana II's for my recording studio because I really liked how they sounded in there with those 19's (if I do buy another pair I'll stack them in there too), and if I don't talk myself out of it I'd also like to find a pair of Altecs for my garage/workshop.
BTW, VolvoHeretic, years ago I did have a pseudo-surround set-up and yes, the second (rear) pair of speakers did give a great sense of depth to the room's sweet spot.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/07/24.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/07/25.jpg
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2012/07/11.jpg

